Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Difficulties of Life

Kids suffering from child labor; women battling with breast cancer; families hardly eating three full meals a day; people trying to cope with poverty, suffering from the loss of a loved one, and struggling against life’s bondages.

The world is full of this and more, so it is of little wonder why a lot of people refuse to believe in the existence of a good and loving God. Someone once asked me why God would create me, my dad and cancer and require us to ask Him to heal it. Shame and guilt overcame me as I realized that I didn’t have the answer to this question. My mind raced and quickly went in search for a useful passage in the Bible. To my great dismay, my mind went absolutely blank. I kept pondering on the question, but with my own strength and wisdom, I couldn’t seem to form an answer. I asked some people I know about their opinion and here are some of what I got:

· God never promised us a rose garden.
· God didn’t create suffering and pain, Satan did.
· We live in a fallen world. People suffer because of the consequences of their sins.
· Suffering and pain are sent to test us.
· It started when Adam and Eve sinned against God in the Garden of Eden. It was sin that brought about suffering and pain. It is a result of man’s choice.
· God allows such because He is mean and He loves seeing people suffer.

I came across this email from a friend, which seemed to answer the question. Ok, I think I’ll post it next time so as not to bore you.

This morning, as I opened my reading for the day, here is what I found:

The question of God’s allowing pain and suffering has plagued man’s heart since the beginning of time: If God is a good God, why does He allow bad things to happen? God always has a purpose for allowing the difficulties of life:

Spiritual cleansing. Nothing exposes sin like pain and suffering.

Companionship. God is not the author of evil, but He uses it to bring you into a closer relationship with Himself.

Conformity. C.S. Lewis once commented: “Prayer does not change God; it changes us.” Adversity purifies your motives and strips away the dross in your life so that you reflect His love to others with an even greater brilliance.

Conviction. After Christ’s death, the disciples had to hold fast to what they believed concerning God’s Son. In the end, the adversity they faced led to an increased joy that came through the reality of living in harmony with the Holy Spirit.

Comfort. When God becomes your only Source of comfort in times of trials, you will experience an inner peace like nothing you have felt before. (Into His Presence by Charles Stanley, 2000)

I posted this blog so I could use it as easy reference the next time I am faced with the same question. We are all entitled to an opinion, so I’m open to hear some more thoughts on this.

2 comments:

OptyMyst said...

God gave us (all of us) free will, and all that goes along with it. Unfortunately, that means there will be people in the world who use their free will for purposes contrary to good. The Bible states that Satan is misleading the entire inhabited Earth. This means that some will bend to his will, by using their own free will.

I don't believe that God causes or allows pain and misery; these are part of the human condition. I believe that He sometimes intercedes on behalf of a very few people and shows us miracles, so we don't forget Him and Jesus' great sacrifice. We can only be the best humans we can possibly be, in response to the gifts of life and miracles God bestows upon us.

Until the time comes when destiny meets prophecy, we wait. Hopefully we can do it with strong faith and hope in our hearts.

Maryet said...

thanks twi!!! thanks a lot! :)